Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Squatting...in more ways than one

Everything seems to be going so quickly. It’s surprising really. Here it is 1 week and 1 day since the reno began and my upstairs is totally framed in and most of the main floor as well. Interestingly enough I’ve been out of town for the last two days and feel like I’ve missed out on the action. It’s funny but I’d rather live in my house the way it is right now as apposed to be being in a nice hotel.
As I sat in the Calgary airport yesterday afternoon, I received a call from Josh. He proceeded to tell me that everything was going well. So well in fact he had lined the plumber and electrician to be here for today. I was told I’d have no water or bathtub or any sink. Not that I cared…I wasn’t there but my poor daughter Heather was. I had to break the news to her. She was fine with it.
Josh called me again this afternoon, at the Edmonton airport, and informed me I had no insulation and no plumbing/water and would have no computer/t.v. He would though, have one plug in by the t.v. and would make sure my fridge worked.
As I made my way home from the airport I have to admit I sped…not just a little but like I was in the Indy 500. I was trying to get home before the light diminished into darkness to see the progress in the house. Heather decided to stay at her boyfriends (good call). Unfortunately I didn’t make it home before nightfall and stumbled through the front door into darkness. It was nice to be greeted by my cats, who by now I’ve come to realize can live through a disheveled household. I dragged my suitcase upstairs, felt my way around my so called room and pulled all the boxes (my clothes etc.) that had been placed there for the day off the bed. I got into my Jammies, grabbed my quilt and made my way to the main living area. I was happy to discover Josh had hooked my computer up to the one plug by the fireplace that now looks like a baby octopus. I guess it was one or the other…computer or T.V. I’m happy with the computer. I have music and the Internet. I used the light from the computer screen to find the remote for the fireplace and turned it up full blast. It’s not really that cold in here but nothing wrong with being toasty, is there? That fireplace is amazing!

I had remembered I had used a metal cage utility light before I had left to go out of town…now if I could only find it. I turned the computer screen around to cast some light into the far reaches of the other part of the room. Aha, there it was. Josh had hung it up in the kitchen and had plugged it into an extension cord. I turned it on and wa-la I had some light.

Okay this next part may be a little too much information but you can cover your eyes if you don’t want to read it…
I new I had to find something to use as a port-a-potty. I decided to look for some ideas in my garage. First thing I spotted I knew was a good idea. My small plastic garbage container was sitting by the washing machine. It had a garbage bag lining it. I decided it would be a perfect solution and since kitty litter was good enough for my cats why not a human. I would put some litter in the bottom of the bag and quite simply have my overnight facilities. I wasn’t really keen on the idea of going outside in my back bushes…especially in the middle of the night. This was definitely the answer. I really don’t want to use my neighbor’s bathroom in the middle of the night. With my luck they would think it was a break and enter and beat me with a baseball bat.
On a very positive note, I just found a new pound of coffee after rummaging through some boxes. I thought I was out. I will be able to have my java tomorrow morning without leaving my house! I gotta have my coffee first thing when I wake up. Life is good. Life is very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment